Job Type: Permanent
Job ID: 168448
Our client is recruiting for a Senior Research Engineer to focus on Energy Systems. The position will be based within their Research & Disruptive Innovation Directorate.
The position of Senior Research Engineer, Energy Systems will have a strong focus on electrical systems/infrastructure-based research and development (R&D), and will also tackle integration issues with the wider energy system including storage, hydrogen and ancillary services provision. You will collaborate with core research team members and across the wider organisation to ensure the delivery of our research portfolio continues to solve both the current and future challenges facing the offshore renewables sector.
As a Senior Research Engineer, you will be given the opportunity to work with the Head of Electrical Research to lead the development, formulation and delivery of highly technical and scientific quality activities related to the research and development of energy systems-related technology. Collaborating with researchers, OEMs, academia and technology developers providing insights, advisory services and tangible solutions for real world applications. Therefore, the preferred candidate will have previous experience of working with both internal and external stakeholders and leading related collaborative research activity with these stakeholders.
The composition of your work will cover research, development, demonstration and validation activities which will require you to possess a strong command of ICT and relevant software packages. Experience of technical report writing is essential and as part of this role, you will be tasked with publishing high quality research papers and will be expected to represent the company at technical scientific forums and conferences.
The technical areas you will be involved in include:
- Electrical infrastructure and networks including national and transnational systems
- Wider energy system integration of offshore renewables including multi-vector energy solutions
- Energy storage and hydrogen integration technology development
- Ancillary services provision including frequency support services
- Grid codes & compliance
What you need for the role
Experience in Leading R&D projects/programmes in the area of electrical infrastructures/energy systems
Detailed knowledge of the UK’s electricity supply market and the development of multivector energy systems including offshore renewable technology
Wind turbine/wind farm grid code compliance
Good knowledge in one or more of the following areas is essential:
o Energy storage which may include, but is not limited to, hydrogen energy storage technology
o AC and HVDC Transmission technologies/offshore wind plant interconnections and architectures
o Wind turbine electrical and/or control system related research experience
o Technical product design and development in commercial and R&D spheres in compliance with relevant standards with a good understanding about the related standards
• A PhD / EngD degree in a relevant electrical engineering / scientific discipline is highly desirable
• 5 or more years of R&D / industrial design experience in the relevant areas of energy systems
• Experience in electrical systems/sub-system modelling
• Experience with one or more of the following software packages; MATLAB, PSCAD, DIgSILENT, dSpace, LabView
• Experience in producing research and/or technical reports
• Good publication track record