Clinical Nurse Specialist - SWEXHertfordshire
- Salary: £32,000 to £42,000
- Job ID: 165775
- Category: HEALTHCARE
The post holder will work at an advanced level* providing a nurse led autonomous service delivering on the following aims and objectives:
- Work as part of a multidisciplinary team delivering a first-class rheumatology service to non-complex patients who are following the “expected course of disease”.
- Provide a seamless Tier 2 service working closely with Tier 1 (Primary care) and using the expertise of Tier 3 (Secondary care) only when appropriate.
- Work to national standards and guidelines ensuring that remission of disease is a realistic goal.
- Deliver high quality and relevant education to patients enabling effective self-management.
- Ensure that an advice line available to patients and health professionals delivers rapid, effective information and help, preventing unnecessary GP and A&E attendances.
- Co-ordinate and deliver a comprehensive annual review ensuring early identification of comorbidities and complications of disease and work with the patient and GP to manage and minimalize these.
- Offer rapid access appointments for flare patients and to provide an urgent joint injection service.
- Ensure that the most cost-effective treatments are used, including switching to biosimilars as appropriate.
- Support and educate junior members of the team, aiding retention and succession planning.
- Take responsibility for annual appraisals and personal development plans for nurses in development roles
- Share knowledge and information freely with the wider healthcare team thus embedding education in the workplace and assisting the succession planning process.
- Lead on audit and research ensuring ongoing improvement in the services available to patients.
- To be responsible for the assessment and planning of patients care, including initiation of new treatments, dose adjustments and repeat prescribing.
- Ensure that patients receive a consistent approach to management of their condition which is evidence based.
- Plan and co-ordinate routine infusions of biologic therapies and treatments for osteoporosis.
- Provide an advice line for patients, carers and health professionals, responding within 24 hours
- Provide urgent appointments for patients in “flare” or those requiring urgent joint injections
- Undertake an annual review of all patients with rheumatoid arthritis (RA) based on the Freeman Hospital, Newcastle model.
- Assess for co-morbidities and work closely with the patients GP to ensure “joined up” care.
- Identify when patients are not “following the expected course of disease” and seek advice from Tier 3
- Support patients and families throughout the course of disease
- Maintain an accurate record of all activity undertaken and input this directly to the GP system ensuring a contemporaneous record is held.